September 26, 2014

Finishing Up - Small Details, Textures, and Lighting

 I made the shoes. I should have made them with the clothing, just not enough time to do that. I think they look good. They are simple but work perfectly for the costume.
 Then I textured him. Textureing is huge! This allows the character to come to life. The shirt is a plain neutral color which I really like. I wanted the fancy thing at the top to tie in with the pants so I made both of then brown. It seemed only fitting to make the shoes brown. Didn't want them to look really weird by not being brown. I didn't want his hair to be blonde but not utterly black. So I went for brown which is a nice middle ground for the hair. For his skin, I wanted a somewhat tan skin tone and I wanted it to be shinier than the clothes so I went for the blinn material instead of a lambert. It took quite some time to get faces around the hair in places like the ears, the forehead, and back of the neck the right color. Some parts of the hair were the skin tone color while parts of the ear and forehead where the brown of the hair. The eye brows are the same texture as the hair. Then the eyes are a combo of blinn and phong. Eyes are moist and therefore shiny. So I needed to make sure the white, blue' and black had a shiny quality to them. I wanted blue eyes because I was sick of using brown. I wanted more interesting colors.

 Once I had colors in place I went to places to work on fine details to make my character more normal. One part was the ear. The picture is from the middle of he process. I needed to bring the ear in instead of having it pertrude out all funky. That was painful. I should have fixed it BEFORE I did the hair. The hair just got in the way.

 Then I made a background and a ground. I wanted this there so you couldn't see my reference images and have the background be black. I like this sky and ground much better.




I put in my own lighting. The color if off I know. But I shall work on it. It shall be right!!!! I need to mess with the color and intensity to make it work with the colors I'm using. I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment